Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Why

I have been toying with the idea of starting my own website for a while now. It started about a year ago when I found out one of my good friends had one of her very own. At the time, it seemed like something that only really smart, eloquent, well educated people could do. Over time however, I discovered that blogging had become a fairly common thing. While I may not be able to compete intellectually with a lot of others in the blogosphere, I decided that I wanted to give it a try.

My husband is in the military and we have been stationed in Germany for two years. He has been in Iraq for nearly seven months. For Thanksgiving, I decided to visit my family for the first time since we moved here. I had totally forgotten about the lefty majority that makes up Olympia, Washington, the town I grew up in. While I was home, I realized how unwelcome my political opinions were. There were anti-war protests, John Kerry stickers pasted every where, and "Bush=Hitler" slathered over many Honda Civics and old Toyota pick-ups.

When I realized how proud I had become of the United States, the military, my husband, and all the other soldiers in the past two years, I became angry at people that weren't . I had gotten so used to being in a little military community in the middle of nowhere that when I saw someone with something ignorant on their car, I became angry. However, my opinions almost screwed up my relationship with my favorite aunt.

Because of this I have decided to put my opinions out there, where people can take it or leave it. I don't want to worry about someone being upset about my opinions. So I hope all of you enjoy this...and if you don't, that's the beauty of it being my website...you don't have to come here.