Monday, February 04, 2008

Thanks

Lady at Walmart: Oh! How precious! How old is your baby?
Me: (However many) days old.
Lady at Walmart: Wow! You look great!
Me (as I grin inside): Well, thank you! That's very nice of you...

It's not a common experience for me to have random strangers walk up to me and tell me how hot I am. And I've stopped explaining things to the strangers that feel inclined to ask me how long my labor was or whether or not I had an episiotomy. Seriously. People are so intrusive.

So instead, I allow them to believe what they've assumed to be true, and make my way to the dairy aisle as I think to myself, Well - maybe I can get away with these few extra pounds for a little while longer.

4 comments:

Only $19.95 said...

You have just become a member of the "Mommy" club. Women will seek you out and ask questions that you would never, EVER, imagine from a stranger.

I've found the best way do deal with them is to let them talk, nod in agreeance, and give them a hearty, "Well, YOU KNOW!" And they'll blah blah blah for a while, but you can make a getaway with, "It's been so nice talking to you! But I had better hurry. Tucker gets hungry and, well YOU KNOW! Take care!" It works, oh, most of the time?

Erin~ Just make up a story and stick to the made-up version. I'm not talking friends, I'm talking the 'let me see if you're breastfeeding properly' group. Before you have to get all personal and explanatory....

Or, you caould say you're babysitting for your sister who has some terrible malady. That'll shut up the freak show...

LoveMyTanker said...

Letting people believe what they will is a great way to go, you are so wise. Believe me, even when the babies become older children, people are still intrusive w/ often time, strange and odd questions. I have learned to smile and drive on, saying very little!! :)

You guys all look so wonderful and happy!!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAH..... yep. There's no stopping it now. Show up with a newborn, and people WILL ask about your labor. It's a given!

Just tell them, "It was a piece of cake! Sure, I cried a little at the end, but delivery was no problem for me!"

Anonymous said...

People really will believe what they want to believe. I have a friend who adopted a little girl from China with his wife. He is hispanic with dark hair and a skin tone close to hers and they both wore glasses with metal frames, so they do look somewhat similar on first glance.

He was at a park with her one day when a woman said how cute it was that they looked so much alike. He informed her that the little girl was adopted, and then he was yelled at! The woman didn't believe him and spent close to ten minutes yelling at him. He didn't know how to respond to what she was saying, so he finally just apologized for "his" rudeness and she left him alone.