Saturday, December 26, 2009

On the Road Again

Scout and I are leaving tomorrow morning to pick up our new baby; we should be back on Monday evening!

My emotions are mixed: Excitement, anxiety, sorrow.

I've never thought to myself, "What would I do if I could no longer take care of my child?"

I am realizing more and more how fortunate I am. My husband would never allow a situation in which we would have to choose baby formula over bills. And if somehow we were sucked into a gigantic hole that we couldn't get out of, all four of my parents - my mom, stepmom, dad, and stepdad (plus Scout's parents) - would swoop in to help. I am certain that I would never have to face deciding whether I should give my child up for adoption due to finances. Some people can't say that.

And perhaps that is why I feel sorrowful. I am benefitting tremendously from someone else's misfortune. And it makes me terribly sad.

But other times, I am excited and happy. We're "having" another baby. And there's no better feeling than that.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

I can't imagine being in that situation either. Hopefully the mother be comforted knowing her child is going to an amazing home. Congrats on your newest addition!

ABW said...

I'm excited for you, and I know that he will be a great addition to your family and loved to the ends of the earth. I can't wait to meet him!!!